2014 High School Chemistry Quiz
Wednesday 1 October 2014
The 11th Otago Southland High School Chemistry Quiz was held this year at the Otago Museum’s Hutton Theatre on Tuesday September 23rd. Twenty nine teams from around Dunedin, Wanaka, Invercargill, Oamaru, Balclutha, Palmerston and Tapanui competed for the coveted Bunsen Burner of Wisdom, as well as the prize for the best chemical Haiku. Much fun and pizza was enjoyed during the evening, along with plenty of questions (both chemical and just random) and in the end the winning team was The Chemistry Club from John McGlashan College.
My thanks, as always, to the Otago Museum, the Dunedin University Bookshop and Poppa’s Pizzas for their support, to the helpers for the Department of Chemistry and to all the students, teachers and parents who came along.
- 1st place The Chemistry Club John McGlashan College
- Nic Taylor
- Joshua Kim
- Edward Bercishas-Gould
- Terry Woo
- 2nd place HCOONa matata John McGlashan College
- Andrew Kim
- Nat Hart
- Jack Ashcroft
- 3rd Place Chemist Tree James Hargest College
- Jordan Treanor
- Akib Khan
- Jack Dolman
Oh lovely pi bond
I am the electrophile
Come and capture me
Less than three – Logan Park High School
If I’m sodium
And you are liquid water
Tonight we ignite
The rae rays – South Otago High School
All these neon lights
Vibrant emission spectra
What a noble sight!
Chemistry Club – John McGlashan College
A few sample questions:
- How many atoms are there in three molecules of copper sulfate pentahydrate?
- What is the empirical formula for graphene?
- There are ten chemical elements which have been ‘known since antiquity’. Name five of them.
- What is this?